Sunday, May 13, 2012

Taco pizza

I was craving taco pizza from Happy Joe's in Iowa City. Yeah, I don't live there anymore, but it is quite amazing. So I did what any resourceful cook would do- I made it myself...but a bit healthier and faster than waiting for dough to rise.

First I made a no yeast wheat crust.

1 1/2 cups regular whole wheat flour
1/2 cup white flour
1 tsp garlic salt
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup olive oil

Preheat oven to 400. Combine all ingredients together in a bowl and knead by hand in bowl for about 2 minutes.

Place onto baking sheet and press out into desired shape (thinner crust works better for this recipe).

Bake for 5-10 minutes (depending on how thick it is).

While this was baking I made the taco meat- 1 lb of really lean ground beef with taco seasoning.

Take it out, add sauce and toppings, then bake for another 8-10 minutes, or until toppings are cooked and edges of crust are lightly browned.

For the sauce I used 3/4 of a jar of pizza sauce, then 3/4 of the cooked meat an then 3/4 of a bag of Mexican cheese.

After baking, I put crunched tortilla chips, shredded lettuce, Jacks med hot salsa, diced Roma tomato, and a splash of cheese for the final touch.

Mmmmmm.

The crust is not crispy, but softer. Still delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hawaii Day 10- 1/30

Getting ready to head out of Hawaii and hubs helping with my hair :)  This is sooo beautiful! Cheese :) Laid back! Br...