Monday, September 3, 2012

Count your blessings

After having a wonderful time at a wedding, we headed home. Turns out, there was a different plan for that night. It was a little after midnight on August 26th.

We turned into 76th Street, going east and stopped at the Byron Center light. We stopped...it was a blinking red. John and I even had a little conversation about how much fun we had and how we have to meet up with those friends soon.

We started through the intersection and then we saw the car coming from the left. This car was easily speeding at least 20 over. He slammed on the brakes, the tire screeching was so loud... He swerved to the left and hit our left front bumper. John was driving and I was in the passenger seat. If he hadn't slammed in the brakes he would have hit our drivers door and I'm not sure I would be sharing this story.

The bumper tore off and flew to the right. We spun towards the south. The car turned off. It wouldn't start and was leaking fluids. The radiator was pushed about 4 inches to the right and into the engine.

I was in shock... But we were both okay. I sat there and just waited... Stunned. John told me I had to get out of the car because the blind spot at this intersection was obviously really bad. I tried to open my door and it barely opened. We are so lucky.

Minutes later the friends we were with all night at the wedding stopped... They kept us calm and stayed with us as the police came and the tow truck to take away my car.

Caroline, Bryan and Kristi are so wonderful! They all kept us calm... Helped get stuff out of my car... And Kristi even dropped us off at home. Words cannot express my gratitude. We are blessed.

My car is officially a total and the check is waiting for us at the agents office. We got a VERY nice settlement... Cannot complain at all!

John has had no issues since the accident. I'm having some back spasms and headaches... But Advil is my new BFF.

Thanks for all of the messages and texts from all of our friends and family. Even though I'm in insurance it was scary.

And now we start the search for our new car to replace the Ford Focus.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hawaii Day 10- 1/30

Getting ready to head out of Hawaii and hubs helping with my hair :)  This is sooo beautiful! Cheese :) Laid back! Br...