Thursday, June 11, 2015

The day that steps changed forever

April 29th, this is the day that steps changed forever for me.  I was in California for training for work and was asked by a co-worker if I "FitBit"... I said no and was told I could get the App for free and use my phone to count my steps.  Well, okay.... little did I know how awesome, addictive this crazy little App was.

I found myself using the stairs more, swaying in place and all together trying to beat my latest step count from the day before.  I was hooked to this!  How awesome that it tells you how many steps, mileage and calories that you have burned?  FREE!  From an App on my phone!  I hit 5,000 steps on my first day and they sent me notification of a Badge I earned!  A couple of days later, I finally hit the 10,000 steps goal and received another badge!

The following week, I was invited to my first "Workweek Hustle!"  My, oh my!  This shows you how competitiveness works with these contests.  I didn't win, but ended up getting a marathon badge for walking a total of 26 miles.  This badge to me, was a crazy idea that in a little over a week, just by tracking myself, I had walked almost a marathon!

The best part about the week, was the weekly progress report!  It tells you what your step count was for the week, your most and least active days and it has a chart of you against all of your friends.  My first week step count was 44,201 steps with an average of 6314 a day.  I was out of town for work, so that's not too bad!  I was motivated to keep improving!

Fast forward to the first week that I was home and began to walk the dogs more regularly, volunteered to get groceries, and even wanted to go on extra walks!  I ended up getting three more badges and ended the week at 72,911 steps with an average of 10.416.  I was excited with my progress and noticed my clothes were fitting a little easier.  I got out some shorts and all of them from last year fit with no problem.  It's amazing how this little change, helped motivate me to keep moving.

I think I basically strong armed my husband into thinking FitBit was the coolest thing ever.  He was reading this book that said how important walking was.  So on May 30th, we both got FitBit Zips!  It was so great to have the Zip and not to carry my phone everywhere.  Plus, the first week that I had it, I felt myself even wanting to go on longer walks with the dogs and even extra walks just anywhere!

Last week's report, 89,657 steps with an average of 12,808 a day!  I'm so pumped about having the Zip!  It's small, easy to put on and it has made me leave my phone all behind.  Whoever developed that Free App for FitBit is a genius!

We recently got these cool bracelets to put our Zip in, so it looks more like a watch- which I love, as now it is a watch and my step count reminder!  I am just so happy to have found something that keeps me so motivated to walk.  The  most important part, is my family, friends and co-workers who are all on there, Cheering each other on through each challenge.

I'll chat again later.. gotta go FitBitting.... :) #steps

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hawaii Day 10- 1/30

Getting ready to head out of Hawaii and hubs helping with my hair :)  This is sooo beautiful! Cheese :) Laid back! Br...